Friday, February 13, 2009

Separation of Church and State

Hi Everyone, Last week I read in the City Council Minutes that there was a Minister present and a prayer to the Lord Jesus Christ was said just prior to the council meeting. Then during the meeting Pete Woods questioned whether having a prayer during a government meeting was the smart thing to do. This bring up up the debate about church and state. I understand that Woods was just trying to protect the city from a law suit that might be filed by some nut job or the ACLU. I say who cares! Bring em on. The ACLU stopped protecting the civil liberties of citizens a long time ago. This country was founded by men of Religion, it is on our currency, the Declaration of Indepence and so on. Pete, grow some nuts. I was glad to see the City Admin defend the prayer, sort of. What do you think? MSK

5 comments:

  1. There should be no reason to fear the ACLU. Bottom line, just continue on with the prayer, and if someone in the community feels the need to complain to the ACLU for opening up the City Council meeting with a prayer, I say hold a quick vote with all those offended by prayer and those not offended.

    I think it’s time that the minority start to respect the wants of the majority. Heck, I’m offended by people that choose to not pray, so who would I complain to about them, the non-prayers? I’ll tell you, I don’t complain, I don’t care that someone choose to not pray, and I would expect the same level of respect from the non-prayers for me choosing to pray. If there are those that don’t want to participate with the prayer, then don’t pray! Turn up your IPOD or twiddle your thumbs until the prayer is over. I’m pretty darn sure that “Cosmic Forces” will not have shifted because there is prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see no reason to have a prayer but I am not offended by people praying

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no problem with it as long as they do not tell those of other faiths they cannot have a prayer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ill start out by saying I am from the older generation and Ive gone to catholic schools just about my entire educational life. Like many people my age I was strongly against taking prayer out of the school,you might as well say they took meaning out of life.Im not saying this applies to everyone but so many of our children from then till now have no idea who God is and what all that implies! I realize this is no guarantee but let me tell you I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had prayer in my school.To this day I cant understand why the gov. had to do this. Nita

    ReplyDelete